Most folks have suffered from dandruff at one stage in their lives. It is common and very easily treated naturopathically, without resorting to harsh shampoos full of chemicals and tar.
Dandruff is usually associated with eating loads of white sugar and carbohydrates like bread, pastry and cakes.
Stress hormones, illness and trauma can also trigger dandruff.
Treatment to help with dandruff:
- make a strong infusion (see below) of chopped up rosemary and thyme. Use this to rinse out the last wash after shampooing and conditioning your hair
- increase fish, avocado and olive oils in your diet. Stop eating refined bread, pastries etc. and focus on good clean diet
- a high diet in vitamin A does wonders, drink on an empty stomach at least 1-2 cups freshly squeezed carrot juice daily
- make pumpkin soups and have those regularly as they are rich in vitamin A
- have meat free days and include legumes in your meals instead
- massage a few drops of rosemary oil mixed with 1 tbls of coconut oil into scalp before bed every night
How To make An Infusion
Chop/grate fresh or dried herbs (fresh is best). Pour boiling water over and cover. It is important to cover herbal teas to stop the essential oils from evaporating.
Usually 1-2 teaspoons of the chopped herb to 1 cup of boiling water. Leave for 10 minutes, strain and use.
I usually make large batches at a time in my saucepan, so it lasts 2-3 days. Refrigerate when not in use, and heat when needed.